If the death occurs in hospital, the hospital staff will contact the person named by the deceased as next of kin. The hospital will keep the body in hospital mortuary until the executor arranges for it to be taken away.

A medical certificate will be issued by the Hospital, to register the death with the local registrar.

Most funeral directors have a chapel of rest in which the deceased will be held pending the funeral.

Hospital staff will arrange for the nearest relative to collect the deceased’s possessions.


If the death occurs in a nursing home/or Elsewhere

If the death was expected, contact his/her G.P who attended the deceased during their final illness.

If the cause of death is quite clear the G.P will give you a Medical Certificate and formal Notice that the Medical Certificate has been signed. After that you can phone Islamic funeral services to take the body for GHUSL and KAFAN.

Medical Certificate: – That shows the cause of death (this is free of charge)

  • A formal Notice that states that the doctor has signed the Medical certificate. Take this medical certificate to your local Registrar office to get the death registered.
  • Death must be registered with your local registrar of birth/Marriages/Deaths for the district or sub district in which it occurred within five days. If the death has been referred to the coroner, it cannot be registered until the registrar has received authority from the coroner to do so. However if the cause of death is quite clear then you can take the medical certificate issued by the GP to the Registrar and they will register it.


GUILDFORD Surrey:                   01483   568387

ALDERSHOT, Hampshire                             01252    322066

CAMBERLEY (Surrey heath)                01276    707580

Knoll road Camberley, Surrey


But you may need more then one copy for the will, pension claims, insurance police, bank certificate and premium bonds etc.

When you go to the registrar office you should take all  of these:

1. Medical certificate (Issued by G.P)

2. Deceased medical card, if you have one.

3. The deceased Birth and Marriage certificate, if available.

You should tell the registrar:

  • The date and place of death.
  • The deceased last address.
  • The deceased first Name and surname
  • The deceased date and place of birth.
  • The deceased occupation and the name and occupation of their spouse.
  • Whether the deceased was getting a pension or allowance from the public fund.
  • If the deceased was married, the date of birth of the surviving widow or widower.

The registrar who registers the death will issue you a Certificate for Burial (known as the green form) unless the coroner has already given you an Order for Burial (form101) this gives you permission for the body to be buried.

You can then arrange for GHUSL and KAFAN and JANAZAH

Burial site in surrey:         Brookwood Cemetry, Brookwood- Near Woking in Surrey 

Your Islamic Funeral services will arrange for you where you want the deceased to be buried, but you have to pay these expenditure costs of the burial site. Consult your muslim directory for your nearest Islamic Funeral Service providers. I have recently used the following Islamic Funeral Service which were very good Ma-Shallah:

Islamic Funeral Services

Mr M.A.Khan

5 Petersfield Avenue

Slough, Berkshire


Tel: 01753 82 11 90 

FAX: 01753 57 58 32

Mobile: 07860 85 90 90

But if you are taking deceased out of the UK then you have to go to your local coroner to get authorisation for releasing the body. All you need is to take either the Medical certificate issued by the G.P or the Death Certificate issued by the Registrar.

Camberley (Surrey Heath) coroner office is in Frimley Police station. Telephone: 01276 677598